Friday, January 27, 2012

A Smile

Back in 1991 I was voted as having the "Best Smile" in my high school class.  At the time I was just happy to have my classmates recognize me for something.  I never really gave my smile a thought.  I mean who thinks of their smile as anything other than a smile?

Fast forward to the year 2009.  My husband was planning a medical missions trip to Lima, Peru.  There was a woman who could not make the trip and the trip was leaving in 1 week.  I remember telling my husband, "Oh. That's too bad.  Is she OK? Do you have someone else who can take her place?" His reply was, "She is fine and yes we have someone in mind to take her place. You."  I looked at him incredulously. "Me? Seriously?" At this point my head is thinking no way, you are not a nurse, you don't do anything medical, what about the girls...where will they go? He must have read my thoughts because he responded simply with "You don't need to do anything medical.  You need to be Sarah and share your smile." Huh? My smile?

Needless to say I went on that Peru trip and shared more than my smile.  I also shared my heart and fell in love with the people of Peru.  I hope to do that here on my blog with you.  I am not perfect and I don't have it all together but I have been told by some pretty special people in my life that I encourage and care well for others.  So, with that you have Sarah, with a smile.

What makes you smile? Has anyone ever commented on your smile?

Linking for the first time with Jen and the girls at  Finding Heaven


10 comments:

  1. What makes me smile? My kids, my husband, sunny days, an elderly couple walking hand in hand. Welcome to the blog world friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once in a spin class, the instructor introduced me as the girl with the prettiest smile. Kind of felt weird...but it made me smile! The sound of my own sleeping children also makes me smile, and even do a little happy dance sometimes. I'm pretty sure this blog will make me smile too! Thanks for sharing your gifts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! I love this post and WELCOME to SDG!! I do think you have a beautiful smile and I am sure that you will encourage many in this space.

    People have remarked on my smile because I have big teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen! I am so excited to be part of this great group of women!!! I am with Amy...don't think you have big teeth :)

      Delete
  4. Hey, hey, Sarah,
    Random fact: I have two sisters named Sara(h). So, what makes me smile? Anything outside, reading with my kids, real talks with real friends. Yep.

    Glad you linked-up. Welcome to the blogosphere, girl.

    ps Jen, your teeth are totally not too big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pss
    How do you know Delicate Fortress Creations? And Inspired Teacher? Both great places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your site :) I am a friend of Loraine's so she entered be back into the blogging world via you. Your a great writer and it has been great to read your stuff!

      Delete
  6. Aw, that is beautiful. And a smile is worth a million words, especially in countries where people are poor and down trodden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your smile is beautiful. and contagious!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm smiling now - pretty powerful! I have a feeling you're going to make many people smile through your blog - welcome to the world of blogging women! :)

    ReplyDelete