Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Icebergs

Remember the scene in Titanic?  The two crew mates are in the 'crows nest' looking for icebergs.  The one says "I can smell ice." The other gives him a stange look as if to say, "whatever." An iceberg is spotted but the Titanic hits it before the crew mates even get a breath of warning out.  The one then says, "Smell ice, can you?"



Our pastor recently gave an iceberg anology. He stated that people are kind of like icebergs.  You really only see the tip and the rest is under the surface.  So, can you smell ice? Do you know people really well to see what is under thier surface?

This anology on icebergs has me thinking about my daughter.  She is 9 and she is dramatic, loud, strong willed, passionate about justice, loves attention, loves Jesus, and asks some great questions about the world and the 'things' of it.  Unfortantely, she gets judged by her tip...the part of the ice people can see.  As a parent it makes me sad, frustrated, and down right angry at times.  I see the tip of her.  I hear about the tip of her.  I know what she is capable of.  I also know she is still growing.  She is still trying to figure out her place in this world.  She has a lot of maturing and growing up to do like many others around her.   

I often pray that others may see what I see underneath her tip.  I see a girl who once a week will ask to go to our elderly neighbors home so she can see how they are doing.  I see a girl who is not afraid to tell a friend that Jesus loves them.  I see a girl who stands up for others.  I see a girl who can pray in front of large groups.  I see a girl with courage in areas that make me shy.  I see a girl who cries at a video of children in Africa with no parents and no food.

You know what? God sees the whole iceberg. I like that.  That thought gives me comfort when I hear that she was yelling at school.   I like that God is reminding me daily that he is in control, not me, when it seems like her behavior isn't.  I like that He made me her mom because through her I can see faith like a child.

God has a plan for her tip, for her iceberg.  A plan to prosper her and not to harm her.  Her tip may not look good to others right now but someday I trust it will; because of His glory to make her the best iceberg she can be.

As a parent can you relate? What do you do when you feel like your child is being misjudged?   How about when it's you? 

1 comment:

  1. I remember this sermon. What a good reminder to remember the rest is under the surface with all people! I forget that sometimes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete